the world as we write it

smiley status'

    eat my Twitter?

    The Black Rider

    authentic since 1981 'welcome to my bomboclot mind'

    Tuesday, July 7, 2009

    Reuters - Phelps has limited ambition one year on from Beijing

    This article was sent to you from bombastic4000@yahoo.com, who uses Reuters Mobile Site to get news and information on the go. To access Reuters on your mobile phone, go to:
    http://mobile.reuters.com

    Phelps has limited ambition one year on from Beijing

    Tuesday, Jul 07, 2009 7:53AM UTC

    By Steve Keating

    INDIANAPOLIS (Reuters) - Michael Phelps, who 12 months ago was targeting an Olympic record eight gold medals, was this week pondering only the goal of making the U.S. world championship team.

    Much has changed for Phelps in a tumultuous 12 months.

    After scaling new heights in Beijing, the 24-year-old swimmer tumbled from grace, falling so hard he pondered retirement during a three-month ban from USA Swimming for being photographed inhaling from a pipe used for smoking marijuana.

    But a motivated Phelps is back in the pool set to face his first true test since the Beijing Games at the U.S. Nationals, which also serve as the qualifying event for the world championships in Rome.

    It seems inconceivable a swimmer in his prime with 14 Olympic and 17 world championship gold medals and a raft of world records should be concerned about such routine matters as earning a spot on the U.S. team.

    But these trials hold fear for Phelps as he continues his transition from all-rounder to sprinter.

    New events, a new stroke and a return to competition that has produced nearly as many defeats as victories, left Phelps cautioning that there were no guarantees he will secure spots in all four events he will contest in Indianapolis, the 100 and 200 meters freestyle and 100 and 200m butterfly.

    In order to book his ticket to Rome and his fifth world championships, Phelps must place among the top two in each event at the Natatorium.

    "It doesn't matter to me if I'm the favorite or I'm not," Phelps told reporters on Monday. "The one thing I enjoy the most is being able to step up against anybody if they're faster than me.

    "I like stepping up and racing people.

    "The 100 free, I know I'm not the best but if I have the opportunity to step up and race the best then that's something I've always enjoyed."

    "I have to make the team before I decide anything. Bob (coach Bob Bowman) and I just wanted to get here and see where we stand."

    UNCHARTED WATERS

    What Phelps is trying to do is not unlike a Formula One driver making the jump to stock cars, yet these are not completely uncharted waters for the world's greatest swimmer.

    Phelps already holds the world record in 200m butterfly and 200m freestyle as well as the American mark in the 100m free and he is rapidly closing in on the 100m butterfly world record.

    Just two weeks ago in Montreal, Phelps clocked a time of 50.48 seconds in the 100m fly, the third fastest time ever in the event and just .08 off the record held by compatriot Ian Crocker.

    "I think I'm back to where I want to be at this point, probably a little faster than I thought I would be," said Phelps, who will swim his first preliminary heat on Wednesday.

    "I have unfinished business.

    "When I retire I want to be able to look back at my career and say that I did everything I wanted to do.

    "That's the only way I'll be able to look back and say that was a great career.

    "The only thing that keeps me going is the goals I have."

    (Editing by Ed Osmond)

    No comments:

    About Me

    My photo
    If you know me then you know my name. I am The Black Rider and the world is my Flame. The rider writes, observes, creates, produces, and learns the world around him. Ride on. Ride on!

    The Remnants

    Powered By Blogger