the world as we write it

smiley status'

    eat my Twitter?

    The Black Rider

    authentic since 1981 'welcome to my bomboclot mind'

    Wednesday, April 2, 2008

    Reuters - Knicks pick Walsh to turn struggling team around

    This article was sent to you from Bombastic4000@gmail.com, who uses Reuters Mobile Site to get news and information on the go. To access Reuters on your mobile phone, go to:
    http://mobile.reuters.com

    Knicks pick Walsh to turn struggling team around

    Wednesday, Apr 02, 2008 8:38PM UTC

    NEW YORK (Reuters) - Donnie Walsh was named president of the New York Knicks on Wednesday and immediately pledged to take the struggling franchise back into the NBA's elite.

    The announcement added to speculation over the future of coach Isiah Thomas, who has faced intense criticism for his running of a club which has posted seven consecutive losing seasons.

    The Knicks are bottom of the Atlantic division and second from bottom in the Eastern Conference standings with a record of 20-54.

    Asked about Thomas, Walsh told a packed news conference at Madison Square Garden: "I have to sit down and talk to him. I'm not putting any time table on this.

    "I'm going to sit down with Isiah and we will have a very meaningful conversation about the franchise and how we are where we are and what's the best answer out of this."

    A native New Yorker, Walsh brings a winning track record to the Knicks having built the Indian Pacers into a championship contender.

    Walsh began with the Pacers as an assistant and moved into the general manager position in 1986 before later taking over as team president in 1988.

    During his tenure, the Pacers reached the playoffs 17 times, the Eastern Conference finals six times and the NBA finals in 2000 losing to the Los Angeles Lakers.

    GREAT FRANCHISE

    Looking to his new job, the 67-year-old said: "It was attractive to me because I want to see this franchise become a great franchise.

    "It's important to the league, it's important for New York and because I'm from New York, once I got the chance to go back and do something about it I really wanted to take the challenge on.

    "We haven't had good teams in a long time.

    "I think there are some good players here so I have to look at it and see how do we make this a competitive team. A team that can get to the playoffs to begin with.

    "It's going to take a lot of work. I don't want anyone to be fooled. There's no magic wand here."

    Walsh's hiring was hailed as a move forward by the NBA, keen to see a flagship franchise restored to past glory.

    "I am pleased for both the Knicks and Donnie Walsh," said NBA commissioner David Stern in a statement.

    "In Donnie, the Knicks have secured the services of a seasoned basketball professional who is held in high regard throughout the league and to whom I have often turned for input on basketball matters over the years.

    "Donnie, in turn, is joining one of our storied franchises, whose team and arena are rich in NBA tradition, and he gets to return to his hometown and a metropolitan area that many of his family members call home."

    (Writing by Steve Keating, editing by Trevor Huggins)

    No comments:

    About Me

    My photo
    If you know me then you know my name. I am The Black Rider and the world is my Flame. The rider writes, observes, creates, produces, and learns the world around him. Ride on. Ride on!

    The Remnants

    Powered By Blogger