the world as we write it

smiley status'

    eat my Twitter?

    The Black Rider

    authentic since 1981 'welcome to my bomboclot mind'

    Sunday, March 9, 2008

    USA TODAY - Rodgers ready to step out of Favre's shadow

    This story has been sent from the mobile device of Bombastic4000@gmail.com. For real-time mobile news, go to m.usatoday.com.

    By Skip Wood, USA TODAY

    Now that life without Brett Favre has settled into the consciousness of the NFL and fans of the Green Bay Packers, a closer look at his presumable successor reveals much.

    At his first press conference since Favre's retirement announcement last week, Aaron Rodgers came across as something of a Roger Daltrey creation, and not simply because of his 1970s-style, over-the-shoulders hairstyle.

    Meet the new boss. Same as the old boss?

    Maybe.

    At least in off-the-field presentation. At various points during his press conference, Rodgers showed off several Favre-like qualities, exhibiting an easy-going manner, a self-deprecating wit and an unmistakable yet subtle self-confidence.

    Rodgers even did the swig-of-the-bottled-water-thing, much in the same way Favre did when explaining his decision to retire several days earlier.

    He did, though, stress one thing.

    "I'm not Brett Favre, and if they're wanting me to be the next Brett Favre, I'm not going to be him," Rodgers said. "I'm Aaron Rodgers. That's who I am. I'm going to be the best quarterback I can be.

    "He did it his way, I'm going to do it my way, and hopefully I can be successful."

    The 24th pick in the 2005 draft out of California, Rodgers admittedly chafed at but then embraced being Favre's vice president, for lack of a better phrase. He watched, learned and matured.

    Rodgers is the first to acknowledge he often and for the foreseeable future will be compared to Favre, and notes that's not only proper but natural.

    But as Favre did after taking over for fan favorite Don Majkowski 16 years ago, Rodgers understands reality. The other guy's gone. So go with it.

    "I'm in a good situation," Rodgers said. "I've got a great team around me. A lot of people are focusing on what I'm going to do. It's what the team is going to do, really. I'm an important part of that, I know my role, and I need to play well.

    "I'm stepping into a team that's established already. I'm going to be expected to play well, I expect to play well, but I've got a great supporting cast around me."

    Website address: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/packers/2008-03-09-rodgers-favre-shadow_N.htm

    No comments:

    About Me

    My photo
    If you know me then you know my name. I am The Black Rider and the world is my Flame. The rider writes, observes, creates, produces, and learns the world around him. Ride on. Ride on!

    The Remnants

    Powered By Blogger