the world as we write it

smiley status'

    eat my Twitter?

    The Black Rider

    authentic since 1981 'welcome to my bomboclot mind'

    Thursday, March 27, 2008

    T.I. Cops a Plea

    US/World News

    Thursday, March 27, 2008

    Rapper T.I. pleads guilty on federal weapons charges

    Thursday, March 27th 2008, 2:38 PM

    ATLANTA - Rapper T.I. pleaded guilty Thursday to federal weapons possession charges, and will receive a sentence that includes prison time after he completes a period of community service.

    In the year that he is awaiting sentencing, T.I., whose real name is Clifford Harris, must complete at least 1,000 hours of a total 1,500 hours of community service, talking to youth groups about the pitfalls of guns, gangs and drugs.

    Officials said after completing the community service he will be sentenced to serve about 12 months in prison.

    His prison time could be increased or reduced, depending on his fulfillment of the terms of the deal and good behavior, they said.

    The rapper, dressed in a gray business suit, told the judge he understands the terms of the agreement.

    He pleaded guilty to possession of unregistered machine guns and silencers, unlawful possession of machine guns and possession of firearms by a convicted felon.

    U.S. Attorney David Nahmias said Harris will remain "under strict bond conditions" during the next year. He said Harris' sentencing was deferred "to allow him to perform a unique and extensive program — at least 1,000 hours — of community service. That service will focus on using his high public visibility and his talents to tell at-risk young people about the mistakes he has made and to educate them about the dangers of violence, guns, gangs and drugs."

    Nahmias said under the agreement, Harris will have to serve a year in prison and three years of supervised home detention, perform a total of 1,500 hours of community service and pay a $100,000 fine.

    Failure to fulfill his obligations will net Harris a "much longer prison sentence," Nahmias added.

    T.I. spoke to the media briefly after the hearing.

    "I'd like to thank God for blessing me with a second chance in life and success," he said, adding that he takes the charges against him very seriously.

    "I'm looking forward to turning this negative time in my life into a positive. I know I have a long road of redemption to travel."

    Harris was arrested Oct. 13, just blocks away and hours before he was to headline the BET Hip-Hop Awards in Atlanta.

    He was charged with possession of unregistered machine guns and silencers, as well as possession of firearms by a convicted felon. He faced a maximum of 10 years in prison and a $250,000 fine for each count.

    Harris was allegedly trying to buy unregistered machine guns and silencers. He initially pleaded not guilty, and has been under house arrest since he was released on $3 million bond on Oct. 26.

    Harris is co-CEO of Grand Hustle Records and is one of Atlantic Records' most successful artists.

    U.S. District Judge Charles Pannell Jr. must approve the deal.

    T.I. grew up in Atlanta and was selling crack by the time he was a teenager. After years of hustling to launch his rap career, his first taste of success came with his 2003 album, "Trap Muzik." In 2004, warrants were issued for his arrest on probation violations for a drug conviction, and he was sentenced to three years behind bars.

    In May 2006, T.I.'s best friend, Philant Johnson, was killed and three others were injured in a gun shootout after a post-performance party in Cincinnati. The killer remains at large.

    T.I.'s sixth album, "T.I. vs. T.I.P.," was released July 3 and debuted at No. 1. In November, T.I. starred in "American Gangster" alongside Academy Award winners Denzel Washington and Russell Crowe.


    click here for more news and cool stuff
    The Black Rider

    No comments:

    About Me

    My photo
    If you know me then you know my name. I am The Black Rider and the world is my Flame. The rider writes, observes, creates, produces, and learns the world around him. Ride on. Ride on!

    The Remnants

    Powered By Blogger