the world as we write it

smiley status'

    eat my Twitter?

    The Black Rider

    authentic since 1981 'welcome to my bomboclot mind'

    Friday, March 21, 2008

    CNN - Clinton's office says her passport files also breached

    Sent from Bombastic4000@gmail.com's mobile device from http://www.cnn.com.

    Clinton's office says her passport files also breached


    Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Friday told Sen. Hillary Clinton that the security of her passport file were breached in 2007, according to Clinton's Senate official.

    The revelation came shortly after Rice said she hed apologized to Clinton's Democratic presidential rival Sen. Barack Obama for the unauthorized viewing of his passport file by contractors working for the State Department.

    Two contractors were fired and a third was disciplined after they accessed Obama's file, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Thursday.

    Rice told reporters on Friday that she had apologized to Obama and that the breaches would be investigated.

    "I told him I was sorry and I told him that I myself would be very disturbed in anyone had looked at my passport filed and that, therefore, I will stay on top of this," Rice said.

    "We are going to do an investigation through the inspector general," she said. "None of us want us to have a situation where any American's passport file is accessed in an unauthorized way."

    Rice said "it appears that the system worked" because the unathorized viewing was flagged, but "it should have been known to senior management."

    The State Department will brief Clinton's staff this afternoon, a statement from her Senate office said.

    "Senator Clinton will closely monitor the State Department's investigation into this and the other breaches of private passport information," the statement read.

    State Department officials said Rice was told Thursday that Obama's files had been improperly viewed and that she told her staff she wanted a full investigation.

    The State Department has refused to release the names of the companies that employed the contractors.

    The chairman of the House Oversight and Government Reform Committee, Rep. Harry Waxman, sent a letter to Rice asking for the companies' names and said they should be made public.

    The department hires contractors to design, build and maintain their systems and help employees with searches. McCormack said two of the contractors in the Obama case were "low-level" personnel and the other was in a mid-level position with no management role.

    The breach seems like "imprudent curiosity" among the contract workers, said McCormack, adding that senior management at the State Department was not aware of the incidents until Thursday afternoon. Breaches occurred January 9, February 21 and March 14.

    A State Department source said passport files contain scanned images of passport applications, birth date and basic biographical information, records of passport renewal and possibly citizenship information.

    Obama's campaign is asking for a complete investigation to find out who looked at his passport file and why.

    "This is an outrageous breach of security and privacy, even from an administration that has shown little regard for either over the last eight years," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton in a statement.

    "Our government's duty is to protect the private information of the American people, not use it for political purposes."

    Doug Hattaway, a spokesman for Sen. Hillary Clinton, Obama's rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, said, "If it's true, it's reprehensible, and the Bush administration has a responsibility to get to the bottom of it."

    The White House declined comment Thursday evening, just hours after the State Department upper management learned of the breach.

    The department would not speculate whether the information had been shared with anyone else. Watch Anderson Cooper discuss the controversy

    "That obviously is something we are investigating," said Under Secretary of State Pat Kennedy. "I have no reason to believe they did, but I certainly am not going to be dismissive of what is a serious and valid question."

    Kennedy said he will brief Obama's senior staff on Friday.

    Before contractors are hired, the department runs "public integrity checks," which are standard police and name checks for people who will be handling "sensitive but nonclassified information," Kennedy said.

    The background checks do not include inquiries into political affiliations, Kennedy said, saying that would be "inappropriate."

    A computer-monitoring system, triggered when employees access the file of a high-profile person, caught the employees, McCormack said, emphasizing that the department's system "worked."

    However, despite the trigger, senior department officials only learned of the incident Thursday afternoon, after a reporter e-mailed McCormack with a question.

    "It was dealt with at the office level where the incidents occurred by the office-level supervisors, who took immediate steps when they saw this," Kennedy said.

    "I will admit, they failed to pass the information up the chain to a sufficiently high level." Department officials say that after Rice was told Thursday what happened, she told her staff she wanted a full investigation.

    The department would not speculate on whether the information had been shared with anyone else.

    "That obviously is something we are investigating," Kennedy said. "I have no reason to believe they did, but I certainly am not going to be dismissive of what is a serious and valid question."

    The news was reminiscent of a breach of Bill Clinton's passport information during the 1992 presidential campaign. The FBI launched an investigation after the State Department reported that someone had ripped out pages from his passport file from the late 1960s and '70s.

    Sen. Obama

    I know everything

    CNN - Rice apologizes to Obama for passport snooping

    Sent from Bombastic4000@gmail.com's mobile device from http://www.cnn.com.

    Rice apologizes to Obama for passport snooping


    Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice on Friday said she apologized to Sen. Barack Obama for the unauthorized viewing of his passport file by contractors working for the State Department.

    Two contractors were fired and a third was disciplined after they accessed the Democratic presidential candidates file, State Department spokesman Sean McCormack said Thursday.

    "I told him I was sorry and I told him that I myself would be very disturbed in anyone had looked at my passport filed and that, therefore, I will stay on top of this," Rice said.

    "We are going to do an investigation through the inspector general," she said. "None of us want us to have a situation where any American's passport file is accessed in an unauthorized way."

    Rice said "it appears that the system worked" because the unathorized viewing was flagged, but "it should have been known to senior management."

    State Department officials say Rice was told Thursday what happened and that she told her staff she wanted a full investigation.

    The department hires contractors to design, build and maintain their systems and help employees with searches. McCormack said two of the contractors in the Obama case were "low-level" personnel and the other was in a mid-level position with no management role.

    The breach seems like "imprudent curiosity" among the contract workers, said McCormack, adding that senior management at the State Department was not aware of the incidents until Thursday afternoon. Breaches occurred January 9, February 21 and March 14.

    A State Department source said passport files contain scanned images of passport applications, birth date and basic biographical information, records of passport renewal and possibly citizenship information.

    Obama's campaign is asking for a complete investigation to find out who looked at his passport file and why.

    "This is an outrageous breach of security and privacy, even from an administration that has shown little regard for either over the last eight years," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton in a statement.

    "Our government's duty is to protect the private information of the American people, not use it for political purposes."

    Doug Hattaway, a spokesman for Sen. Hillary Clinton, Obama's rival for the Democratic presidential nomination, said, "If it's true, it's reprehensible, and the Bush administration has a responsibility to get to the bottom of it."

    The White House declined comment Thursday evening, just hours after the State Department upper management learned of the breach.

    The department would not speculate whether the information had been shared with anyone else.Watch Anderson Cooper discuss the controversy

    "That obviously is something we are investigating," said Under Secretary of State Pat Kennedy. "I have no reason to believe they did, but I certainly am not going to be dismissive of what is a serious and valid question."

    Kennedy said he will brief Obama's senior staff on Friday.

    Before contractors are hired, the department runs "public integrity checks," which are standard police and name checks for people who will be handling "sensitive but nonclassified information," Kennedy said.

    The background checks do not include inquiries into political affiliations, Kennedy said, saying that would be "inappropriate."

    A computer-monitoring system, triggered when employees access the file of a high-profile person, caught the employees, McCormack said, emphasizing that the department's system "worked."

    However, despite the trigger, senior department officials only learned of the incident Thursday afternoon, after a reporter e-mailed McCormack with a question.

    "It was dealt with at the office level where the incidents occurred by the office-level supervisors, who took immediate steps when they saw this," Kennedy said.

    "I will admit, they failed to pass the information up the chain to a sufficiently high level." Department officials say that after Rice was told Thursday what happened, she told her staff she wanted a full investigation.

    The department would not speculate on whether the information had been shared with anyone else.

    "That obviously is something we are investigating," Kennedy said. "I have no reason to believe they did, but I certainly am not going to be dismissive of what is a serious and valid question."

    The news was reminiscent of a breach of Bill Clinton's passport information during the 1992 presidential campaign. The FBI launched an investigation after the State Department reported that someone had ripped out pages from his passport file from the late 1960s and '70s.

    Multimedia message

    See the streetsighn? Thats what the wind is doing.

    The wind

    I am

    The black rider walking

    Thats me

    Bill. Richardson endorses. Obama

    The truth is out there

    Reuters - Richardson to endorse Obama's White House bid: source

    This article was sent to you from Bombastic4000@gmail.com, who uses Reuters Mobile Site to get news and information on the go. To access Reuters on your mobile phone, go to:
    http://mobile.reuters.com

    Richardson to endorse Obama's White House bid: source

    Friday, Mar 21, 2008 8:6AM UTC

    By Matthew Bigg

    PORTLAND, Oregon (Reuters) - New Mexico Gov. Bill Richardson endorsed Barack Obama's bid for the Democratic nomination for U.S. president, Obama's aides said on Friday, in a big boost for the senator.

    "I can confirm that he (Bill Richardson) is endorsing (Obama) and that he will be at the rally in Portland tomorrow," said an official with the Obama campaign.

    Richardson's endorsement has been fiercely sought by both Obama and his rival Sen. Hillary Clinton in part because as a Hispanic he is seen as influential within the Latino community, which could be a key voting bloc in the November presidential election.

    Hispanics, the fastest-growing segment of the electorate, largely backed Clinton in nominating contests on "Super Tuesday," with exit polls showing her winning two-thirds of the Latino vote in several states.

    Obama, a senator from Illinois, and Clinton, a senator from New York and former first lady, are locked in a tight race for the Democratic presidential nomination.

    They have both sought high-profile endorsements as a way to bolster their campaigns. Both have also actively courted former presidential candidate John Edwards, a former North Carolina senator. Edwards has yet to endorse either candidate.

    Richardson, 60, was energy secretary and U.S. ambassador to the United Nations under President Bill Clinton and served in the U.S. House of Representatives from 1982-1997.

    Richardson also ran for the Democratic nomination but abandoned his bid in January, stating he lacked the funds to continue after finishing fourth in voting in Iowa and New Hampshire.

    A skilled negotiator and diplomat, the popular governor has been mentioned as a possible vice presidential candidate or secretary of state in a Democratic administration.

    Obama is due to hold a rally in Portland, Oregon, on Friday at 9:35 a.m. local time (12:35 p.m. EDT), his campaign said. He will then spend the rest of the day campaigning in the state, which holds a primary on May 20.

    (Editing by Stacey Joyce)

    Sen obama security breach

    The leader of the people

    Reuters - Obama's passport records improperly accessed

    This article was sent to you from Bombastic4000@gmail.com, who uses Reuters Mobile Site to get news and information on the go. To access Reuters on your mobile phone, go to:
    http://mobile.reuters.com

    Obama's passport records improperly accessed

    Friday, Mar 21, 2008 6:26AM UTC

    By Arshad Mohammed

    WASHINGTON (Reuters) - Contract workers for the U.S. State Department improperly viewed Democratic presidential candidate Sen. Barack Obama's passport records three times this year in what his campaign called "an outrageous breach" of his privacy.

    The State Department said its initial assessment was that three workers in separate offices looked at the records out of "imprudent curiosity" rather than any political motivation but that it had requested an investigation into the matter.

    The incidents, which occurred on January 9, February 21 and March 14, were quickly reported to lower-level State Department officials but only came to the notice of its senior management when a reporter e-mailed spokesman Sean McCormack on Thursday.

    Two of the three contract workers were fired as soon as the unauthorized viewing of Obama's files was discovered, while the third has been disciplined but still works for a contractor who has business with the State Department.

    "At this point in time, it's our initial view that this was imprudent curiosity on the part of these three, separate individuals," McCormack told reporters in a hastily arranged conference call on Thursday night.

    "This is an outrageous breach of security and privacy, even from an administration that has shown little regard for either over the last eight years," said Obama campaign spokesman Bill Burton. "Our government's duty is to protect the private information of the American people, not use it for political purposes."

    "We demand to know who looked at Senator Obama's passport file, for what purpose and why it took so long for them to reveal this security breach," the Obama spokesman added.

    Obama learned of the incidents on Thursday on a plane between campaign stops in West Virginia and Oregon. His staff will get a more detailed briefing on Friday from Undersecretary of State Pat Kennedy.

    Word of the passport breach came as Obama, who would be America's first black president, was trying to rebound after a rocky patch. The Illinois senator delivered a major speech this week on race relations in an effort to explain his relationship with his controversial longtime Chicago pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah Wright.

    SENSITIVE INFORMATION

    The latest Gallup survey showed Obama trailing rival Hillary Clinton by 49 percent to 42 percent among Democrats in the contest to select the Democratic nominee to face Republican Sen. John McCain in the November 4 election.

    A spokesman for Clinton, a New York senator, said of the security breach, "If it's true, it's reprehensible, and the Bush administration has a responsibility to get to the bottom of it."

    A political firestorm erupted in 1992 after State Department officials searched Democratic presidential candidate Bill Clinton's passport and citizenship files. The search coincided with Republican attacks on Clinton for his role in the Vietnam anti-war movement as a student at Oxford University in 1969 and for a trip to Moscow he made at the same time.

    An investigation found no laws were violated but that officials exercised poor judgment.

    Speaking to reporters, U.S. officials said they had asked the State Department's inspector general to conduct an independent investigation of how and why Obama's records were accessed and what, if anything, was done with the information.

    "We are now checking to make sure exactly what information was in the files that were accessed," Kennedy told reporters, saying it would typically include passport applications.

    Applicants must provide such sensitive information as a social security number, date of birth, address and telephone number as well as their parents' names and places of birth when they apply for a passport.

    The officials said that when a prominent person's passport records are accessed, it triggers an alarm in the computer system and the person who viewed them is questioned to see if there was a legitimate reason for looking at the file.

    Despite her lead in the latest poll, Clinton trails Obama in the state-by-state contest for delegates that began in January. The nominees are formally chosen by delegates at the parties' conventions in the summer.

    Clinton had hoped to try to chip away at Obama's delegate lead with a rerun of Michigan's contested Democratic presidential primary. But a Clinton-backed "do-over" proposal effectively died in the Michigan Legislature when lawmakers adjourned on Thursday without considering the plan.

    Obama opposed rerunning the Michigan primary. The Michigan and Florida Democratic primaries were invalidated because both states ignored party directives and held their balloting earlier than allowed.

    (Reporting by Arshad Mohammed, JoAnne Allen, Jeff Mason, Patsy Wilson and Matthew Bigg; Editing by Peter Cooney)

    About Me

    My photo
    If you know me then you know my name. I am The Black Rider and the world is my Flame. The rider writes, observes, creates, produces, and learns the world around him. Ride on. Ride on!

    The Remnants

    Powered By Blogger